Skip to main content

Assistance to Veterans with a Severe Disability

Housing Assistance

Overview of VA home loans

Adapted Home Benefits

Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities may apply for grants to build an adapted home or install ramps, widen doors, or make other modifications to live more independently.

All grants have maximum amounts set by Congress and are indexed to construction costs. VA administers three grants that accommodate Veterans’ unique housing needs:

  • Specially Adapted Housing grants are generally used to create wheelchair accessible homes. In FY 2021, the maximum amount is $100,896.
  • Special Housing Adaptation grants are generally used to enhance Veterans’ mobility throughout their homes. In FY 2021, the maximum amount is $20,215.
  • Temporary Residence Adaptation grants are for eligible Veterans and service members who are temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member that needs modifications to accommodate the Veteran’s or Servicemember’s needs. In FY 2021, the maximum Temporary Residence Adaptation grant is $40,637 for Specially Adapted Housing-eligible Veterans and service members, and $7,256 for Special Housing Adaptation-eligible Veterans and service members.

Explore the Special Housing Adaptation (PDF) infographic to learn more about these benefits.

Vehicle Allowances

Under certain circumstances, Veterans may be eligible for financial assistance toward the purchase of an automobile or vehicle adaptive equipment (e.g., wheelchair lift), or both. Adaptive equipment covers items that assist in getting in and out of vehicles and other medically necessary equipment such as power steering, brakes, windows, and seats.
To qualify, beneficiaries must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Automobile grants - For active duty service members or Veterans who have loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands or feet, or permanent vision impairment, or severe burn injuries that limit motion and preclude effective operation of an automobile and for whom these disabilities are rated or treated as service-connected.
  • Adaptive equipment - For active duty service members or Veterans who meet the above disability requirements or who have immobility of the joint of one or both knees or hips and for whom these disabilities are rated or treated as service-connected.

To apply, complete VA Form 21-4502 (PDF) (Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment) and mail or drop it off at the nearest benefits office. or apply with the assistance of an accredited Veterans Service Organization representative. If applying only for adaptive equipment, complete VA Form 10-1394 (PDF) (Application for Adaptive Equipment - Motor Vehicle) and submit it to the nearest VA medical center.

How to Apply

Certificate of Eligibility

Adapted Housing Grant

  • Apply Online

    The fastest and easiest way to get access to your benefits is to apply using your computer or mobile device.

  • Apply through In Person

    Fill out and submit VA Form 26-4555 (PDF) and bring it to your nearest VA benefits office.

  • Apply By Mail

    Call 800-827-1000 to have a claim form mailed to you.


Some benefits may also be used by active service members, reservists, and National Guard members as well as eligible spouses, children, and survivors of Veterans and service members. Consult the VA benefits booklet or visit the nearest VA regional office for character of discharge requirements and more detailed information.

Page last updated on February 17, 2023


An official website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Looking for U.S. government information and services?